Project Name: MIXED (Migration to Intermediate XML for Electronic Data)
Projectleader: Dirk Roorda; Dirk.Roorda@dans.knaw.nl; 06-13665023
Organisation: Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS); http://www.dans.knaw.nl; Anna van Saksenlaan 51; 2593 HW Den Haag
Funder: Partly Ministery OCW (program PRIMA), partly DANS. http://www.senternovem.nl/prima/index.asp; submission form (Dutch)
Financial Control: SenterNovem http://www.senternovem.nl
Project site: / Versie 1.0 2007-01-12 Definitiefase
Conditions at the outset of the project
The executing body is DANS, Data Archiving and Networked Services, an institute of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen (Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences) and the Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (Dutch Organisation for Scientific Research). The objective of DANS is to take care of the storage and permanent usability of research data in the Humanities and Social Sciences. DANS has started its activities medio 2005.
An earlier project of DANS, EASY (Electronic Archiving System), has produced a storage system where researchers can deposit datasets. The data is stored exactly as submittted with metadata added by the depositor. There are no data preservation measures in EASY. It is the task of MIXED to add data preservation functionality to systems like EASY. The wish to build on EASY is the incentive for this project.
During the second half of 2006 the ideas, leading to this project, MIXED, took shape in a project initiation document (in Dutch). This project was submitted to the PRIMA program of SenterNovem, The Hague, and subsequently accepted. It started formally at 2007, January 1, in its definition stage. PRIMA requested explicitly that MIXED operates in rapport with international standards and related work in its field. Furthermore PRIMA required that DANS contribute to the funding of the project.
The funders/issuers of this project are the Dutch Ministry of OCW (Onderwijs=Education, Cultuur=Culture, Wetenschappen=Arts, Humanities and Sciences) on behalf of PRogramma IMplementatie Agenda ICT beleid (PRIMA) (Programme Implementation Agenda Information/Communication Technology Policy) and DANS. PRIMA contributes 59% and DANS 41%. The actual funding and project control is carried out by SenterNovem. There is an advisory committee of professionals at related institutions.
Responsible party for the execution of the project: DANS
DANS contributes to MIXED by providing for
- project management
- expertise and time of its information experts
- recruitment and employment of software engineers
- The size of the project budget is € 1,950,000
- of which DANS contibutes € 800,000
- the due date of the whole project is 2008-12-31, postponed per medio 2008 till 2009-12-31.
- the internal communication for this project will be facilitated by a Wiki-like system (Drupal) at /, where people in the role of contributor may view and edit this material, people in the role of monitor may view this material, and everybody may post comments
- the external communication for this project will be facilitated by the same Drupal site, where people in other roles may view all pages except internal material, and post comments to it
Submitted by dirk on Fri, 2007-01-26 15:25.