Table of contents
- Records management and archival standards
- Auxiliary standards
- Design patterns, templates, practices
- Auxiliary resources
- Related projects
- Articles, journals, reports, books
- (Inter)national cooperation
DANS Datakeurmerk: Kwaliteitsrichtlijnen voor digitale onderzoeksdata. (pdf - in Dutch)
Trusted Digital Repository
- Trusted Digital Repositories: Attributes and Responsibilities. An RLG/OCLC Report (May 2002). (pdf) The Research Libraries Group, OCLC Online Computer Library Center.
Standard about best archiving practices
- Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System. (pdf) Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems. 2002. (ISO Standard 14721:2003).
This ISO standard was developed to standardize international best practice in records management.
- Information and documentation – Records management – Part 1 General. 2001 (NEN/ISO 15489-1).
Open Document Format (native format of OpenOffice, also: interchange format) (oasis, Cover pages, Wikipedia local copy). Contains as sublanguage: (OFL local copy) Open Formula Language, see also oasis, local copy. There is a new group trying to promote adherence to ODF, the ODF alliance. In the Netherlands, there is the Open Doc Society.
Microsoft Office 2007 native format and interchange format (ECMA, OpenXML Developer, Wikipedia local copy: standard<pdf 47 MB!> annexes); in parts: part1 (Fundamentals) <1.4 MB>, part2 (Packaging) <1.2 MB>, part3 (Office Markup Languages) <5.4 MB>, part4 (Reference, Relax, Schema)<29.0 MB>, part5 (Compatibility and Extensibility) <0.6 MB>; overview online local copy; Open Packaging Convention (OPC) online local copy
Open format for Office documents from China. (Wikipedia), intro (online, local copy), presentation (online, local copy). Based on ODF, with many Chinese extra's. Standard body: CESI (Chines website; I cannot find the standard text on the English version of this site).
- Wikipedia; Comparing XML office document formats: using XML Metrics (local copy)
- The role of tag length in Open XML (online, local copy)
- Google's opinion (online, local copy)
- Oracle's opinion on OOXML (online, local copy)
Preserving Access to Digital Resources (National Library of Australia).
Format repository. Lists information about formats of digital information: applications, vendors, versions (main site). Contains:
National Library of New Zealand Metadata Extraction Tool Version
JStore/Harvard Object Validation Environment. A framework for determining the formats of digital objects. online
Conference in Vienna, 2004. Proceedings.
- list of publications (Dutch), (English)
- Preserving Spreadsheets: online, local copy.
- Preserving Databases: online, local copy.
- XML en Digitale Bewaring (Dutch), local copy.
Cultural, Artistic and Scientific knowledge for Preservation, Access and Retrieval - an Integrated Project co-financed by the European Union within the Sixth Framework Programme, that started on 1 April 2006. CASPAR will research, implement, and disseminate innovative solutions for digital preservation based on the OAIS reference model (ISO:14721:2002).
Network of Excellence on Digital Libraries partially funded by the European Commission in the frame of the Information Society Technologies Programme (IST). The main objectives of DELOS are research, whose results are in the public domain, and technology transfer, through cooperation agreements with interested parties.
On cluster of the programme (WP6) is dedicated to digital preservation issues. Integrated research in the preservation cluster will provide the methodological framework and theory for ensuring that digital libraries research addresses preservation issues and digital libraries incorporate preservation elements in their designs.
- intro online, local copy
- intro online, local copy
- the SIARD suite can be ordered here
- specifiaction of SIARD database format online, local copy
- Project site.
- Working academic archive in Sweden: diva-portal.
- Paper from the Vienna 2004 conference: online, local copy.
Rich objects archiving through Web services online
A networked service to document information types. Moreover: a system of conversions between information types. Clients can look for conversion services through type brokers. A completely different approach to digital durability than MIXED tries to implement. Promising, though. TOM
A fairly recent initiative to bundle archives and software companies around the theme of digital durability. Looks like Planets has inherited SIARD. Planets
Koninklijke Bibliotheek (Royal Library (Netherlands)). Several reports, jointly with IBM. Specific interest in emulation techniques. online, local copies: overview authenticity preservation uvc mediamigration webpublications emulation
Open Source as Part of Software Strategy (Open Source als Onderdeel van de Software Strategie). Dutch program reflecting on the role of open source in the Dutch government. online; definition open source: online, local copy; definition open standards: online, local copy. (all Dutch).
PREservation Metadata: Implementation Strategies
Digital Preservation and Permanent Access to Scientific Information: The State of the Practice. CENDI - 2004-3.
Material by Henry M. Gladney
- (journal) Digital Document Quarterly. online.
Long-term Preservation of Digital Documents: Principles and Practices
- Uwe M. Borghoff (Author), Peter Rödig (Author), Jan Scheffczyk (Author), Lothar Schmitz (Author)
The data documentation initiative: a preservation standard for research by Karsten Boye Rasmussen and Grant Blank
ICPSR meets OAIS: applying the OAIS reference model to the social science archive context by Mary Vardigan and Cole Whiteman
- Stijn Hoorens, Jeff Rothenberg, Constantijn van Oranje, Martijn van der Mandele, Ruth Levitt. Published in 2007 by the RAND corporation. The purpose of the document is to analyse the Koninklijke Bibliotheek’s e-Depot strategy in the context of wider developments in the archiving and publishing environment. Online at KB, at RAND, local copy.
- Presentation of the same titel bij Stijn Hoorens: online, local copy.
- Micah Altman, Gary King
- online, local copy
- the interesting topic for MIXED here is UNF (Universal Numeric Fingerprints). This is a technology to take fingerprints from tabular data; the fingerprints are sensitive to the values of the data, not to the file format of the data. MIXED may use UNFs to test whether a format conversion preserves the actual data faithfully, an important quality check.
DANS is working in close collaboration with a number of national and international organisations:
- Council of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA). website
- European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI).
- Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA). website
- Inter-university Consortium for Policital and Social Research (ICPSR). website
- International Association for Social Science Information Service and Technology (IASSIST). website
- Alliance Data Documentation Initiative Alliance for describing Social Science Data (DDI). website
- Association for History and Computing (AHC). website
- Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities (DARIAH). AHDS (UK), CNRS (France), DANS (Netherlands), MPG (Germany). website
- Arts and Humanities Data Service (AHDS). website
- National Coalition for Digital Preservation (DANS, Royal Library, Surf, National Archive, KNAW, NWO and the technical universities. website
- Digital Academic Repositories (DARE). Surf. website
UN database browser
Submitted by dirk on Thu, 2007-01-11 14:17.